Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's daytime! Yaaaaaaaaaay!

Ok, so I thought I do another post to talk about what's happened since we've been home with Ben. It's been so much fun and I'm on my last day of paternity leave as we speak :( but I thought I was due for an update.

The first night was rough...to say the least. We experienced a little something called "cluster feeding" that we weren't really prepared for. This usually happens when a mother is breastfeeding because the milk doesn't really come in for a few days. So the child doesn't really get enough to eat during that time and needs to catch up. Well, it happened to Ben. We would feed him and then a half hour or so later, he'd be screaming for more. Problem is, we didn't realize at the time what he was screaming for. We thought we had just fed him so it couldn't be that he's hungry...well it was. It was a little scary. Ben hadn't cried much up until that point but when he wants to...lets just say he's got a good set of lungs on him. He reaches this higher octave that I can't describe other than to say he sounds like a pterodactyl. I even briefly considered doing a pterodactyl theme in his room instead of a baseball theme. Oh, well, he was the cutest pterodactyl I've ever seen!

Jenni's mom came to stay with us the next day and stayed through last Wednesday. She was a HUGE help. She stayed up with him on Sunday night so Jenni and I could get some rest. She also did laundry, cooked, cleaned and basically treated us like royalty. It was much appreciated. She was wonderful.

Ben had his first doctor appointment last Monday and was doing great. Doctor V said he has great muscle tone and is WAY ahead of where he should be physically. He was holding his head up on his own for extended periods of time at this point and he was less than a week old! Doctor V let him grip is fingers and lifted him up and Ben was able to keep his head in line with his back...something that isn't typical until week 3 or so. Doctor V told me to start lifting weights because Ben will be kicking my butt in no time!

So the only real issue we've had since the pterodactyl incident is that little Ben has had his days and nights confused. This is pretty typical though and seems like it's getting better. When he starts to doze a little more than he should, one of us will say "It's daytime!" and we'll both go "Yaaaaaaaay". Seems to wake him a little. Plus it's fun and cute for us to say. This has gotten a little better in the last few nights and he's been awake more during the daytime. Hopefully that trend continues!

We have been slammed with vistors and phone calls since we've been home. I want to thank everyone for their support and well-wishes. Everything is going great and we are sooooo happy to be a family.

The next post I make will be a picture update...I'm overdue on that as well...and we have some good ones!

Bye for now,

Jeff

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey jeff and jenni good luck on the days and nights:)
Ava wanted Ben to know that she is excited about tomorrow. She bought a new outfit today:)

Jeff Breckenridge said...

I'm sure Ben is looking forward to his "date" with Ava!

Little stinker has been awake all day today other than a few cat naps. Hopefully, that bodes well for tonight!

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Aaah, yes, the old day/night reversal. Have fun with that. I had my days and nights reversed from late 1996 until around spring 2001. But I eventually grew out of it and I'm sure Ben will, too.

Paul n Mandy said...

I'm just not sure about this pterodactyl scream you're talking about! As far as we've seen, Ben is the perfect little angel baby! I guess we'll find out when we stay on the 16th! It'll give us a taste of what we have to look forward to!

Love you guys so much!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!! I am so happy for you two to be home with your new son! I can't wait to see him in person! Hopefuly he won't be like the twins--they didn't completely sleep through the night until they were about 10 months old!! Hope to see you all soon!

Jeff Breckenridge said...

As far as the pterodactyl scream...we haven't heard it in a while. Either he got tired of blowing out his vocal cords or we got better at being parents and addressing his concerns before it gets to that point!

He cries normally now...still not much. Just when he's hungry. He's very laid back...just like Daddy! And Daddy only cries when he's hungry too!

Jeff